Anyway, the day after we flew home was "Western Day." Nanny saved the day by giving us a couple of her bandannas...Kateri kept her sisters company by dressing as...a Saloon Madame?
On one of the other days that week, the kids were supposed to pick someone inspiring and dress up as that person. Lili was all set to go as Helen Keller, but Audrey's first choice of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was foiled when we realized the costume we had was too big to be practical. Since we had gone on the John Adams tour in Quincy last summer, I suggested Abigail Adams. Audrey immediately got that special glint in her eye...the one where she is about to say something completely inflammatory that will delightfully shock and horrify her elder sister.
"No." she said "I'm going to be Michelle Obama."
Then Lili gasped and made this face:
Then Audrey started giggling madly, and I resolved to stop listening to conservative talk radio when the kids were in the car (obviously they are not as oblivious as I had hoped
thought.) But I still think there may have been a grain of truth to Audrey's little joke. Audrey is never shy about her desire to look good. Who would you rather dress up as?
Poor Abigail...all she has is a doily-hat and uncomfortable-looking frills. Michelle, on the other hand, has a personal-trainer and a dozen top designers on speed-dial. The expressions they wear are similarly intimidating, but I'm sorry, Michelle, for all your glamour and celebrity BFFs, you don't hold a candle to the awesomeness of Abigail Adams. Lili stopped spluttering and started passionately making this point and Audrey eventually decided to go as Sacajawea.
Kateri kept her sisters company again, despite her lack of pants.
Last weekend was Audrey's seventh birthday. Luke was in Chicago for Fr. Francis' ordination. Audrey is never going to let him forget that he missed her birthday. A few days before his departure, we were all in the car together debating what to call Francis: Fr. Bitterman or Fr. Francis. Audrey said, "I'm going to call him 'Father Takes-my-father-away-on-my-birthday."
Despite lacking a father, her birthday was quite nice: a long play date with Goose
and strawberry-rhubarb pie instead of birthday cake.
Happy Birthday Audrey! These past seven years would have been so boring without you!



1 comment:
Just when you think she can't top herself! That girl is too awesome. So is her expression on that last picture.
Post a Comment