Friday, May 4, 2012

She takes needless risks...

We had a couple of beautiful walks to the beach the first days of our Scituate trip.
The sun was shining, the kids were running around, climbing on the rocks and exploring. We were all chatting and catching up and relaxing.

The first day, I was fully expecting Audrey to be unable to restrain herself from splashing into the waves and getting wet. I had an image in my mind of a trip we had taken to California in chilly weather and watching Luke walk up the street from the beach holding a completely soaked Audrey by the hand, who trudged along shivering cheerfully under an extra 15lbs or so of sodden sweater and jeans.
 
So I was pretty proud of her when she didn't even get a sneaker wet on the first day. 

What can I say? I let my guard down. Look at me on the second day: relaxed and smiling like a fool.
You know who never lets her guard down where Audrey is concerned? Lili. She came up to me as the kids climbed around and I  chatted away and said in a low but urgent voice. "You might want to stay close to Audrey...she takes needless risks."


Hindsight is 20/20 and all that...I'm sorry to say I brushed off her concern and we all started to walk home.
Five minutes later Audrey caught up to us, Papa's handkerchief pressed to her chin and blood splattered all over her hoodie. Audrey's main concern: (not a needle full of lidocaine or hours wasted in the ER) how she would look at the wedding. That's my Audrey!
I shouldn't have been surprised...it's not a real vacation without a trip to the ER, but a few hours and five stitches later all was well again.
The rest of our trip was a blast, and Lili had the grace and decency not to tell me "I told you so."
I'm sure she was thinking it.

No comments: