Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving decorations

I know I have said this before, but I am mystified by what goes on in Audrey's head. While I was cooking and cleaning in preparation for hosting several family members for Thanksgiving, Lili and Audrey started making Thanksgiving decorations on our back patio. Lili meticulously drew and cut out all sorts of iconographic Thanksgiving pieces: corn, an acorn, a turkey, etc. Pretty standard stuff... Audrey came up with these. I asked her about them. The purple piece on the right is a picture of monkeys. It doesn't make much sense but she told me she started that one before they started doing holiday-themed work. The blob on the bottom left is an acorn. She was super proud of the fact that Lili helped her spell the word "corn" so I guess that the green piece stands on its own. The one that bothers me is on the top left. The black one hanging askew. She told me it was a picture of Aku.
This is Aku, the villain from " Samurai Jack" Lovely, isn't he? My kids were introduced to Samurai Jack over the summer when I left them at Nanny's house for the three hour round trip to Providence airport to pick up their daddy. Nanny hurt her back that day, so their dear sweet Uncle Joe stepped up to babysit them. My dad walked in to check on them and found Lili and Audrey staring raptly at the TV with wide eyes while Joe entertained Kateri. That night Lili told me all about how awesome Samurai Jack was and Audrey told me about "that bad guy with the fire eyebrows." She hasn't mentioned him since we returned home to Phoenix, so I have no idea what put him in her head in conjunction with Thanksgiving. I guess his color scheme does kind of match our table...


Thanks Uncle Joe! By the way, when I went to take down Audrey's decor I found that shae had affixed the bottom two items to the wall with glue...
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!



No comments: