Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring and other things

Spring is back, and so are the orange blossoms. We've been spending a hefty chunk of our time in our backyard.
Kateri knows that the best spot is under the orange tree.
She was "being Alice" that day. In fact, I let her wear her Alice dress out and about while we ran errands, violating one of my personal rules. I used to scoff at other parents I would see in the supermarket, with their little girls in polyester Disney Princess dress-up gear, and their little boys in Spider-man unitards that really didn't fit them anymore...but it is amazing how many opportunities motherhood lends for eating your own words. Besides, her beautiful costume was hand-made with love by Nanny, and as she grows, it is getting shorter and shorter, so I might at well let her enjoy it while she can.
Especially since she can use all the help she can get in looking feminine. Looking at this picture of mini-me Luke, I can forgive the well-meaning strangers who say "Hello, Little Fella" to her if she is not wearing pigtails and pink.
I also dusted off my sewing machine and ignored the half-finished comforter I've been needing to finish for Kateri's bed. I made Lili an Easter dress instead from some pretty fabric Nanny had given me and a pretty straightforward tutorial I found online.
I really like the idea of the back, even if the execution leaves something to be desired...
...the good thing is Lili still gets excited when I make her things, and doesn't notice all the imperfections...

3 comments:

The Winterings said...

I have to say I do agree with the costumes in grocery stores....always thought. Come on. You can tell you child no! But now as a mom things do come back at ya.........like when Tolton wants to put on gianna's pink shoes or a dress when everyone is dancing and g looks the best in the getup....he just wants part of the action ! Now when he is a bit older.....ok. I think the "no cuz mommy said so" will for sure come out:)

The Bird Family said...

So many great things in one post! We need to get out there for a visit before Kateri grows into a full on little girl! And is that smocking I saw on the back of Lili's dress?! 100% impressed.

M Weisse said...

I love the photo of the orange blossom with little alice in the background. And she does look just like a little Luke in that other picture. Jimmy has the same shirt so I guess that helps add to the boyness of it. But she is a very pretty little boy.