Several months ago, Lili had a loose tooth. It had been loose for a very long time, and it was very loose; horribly, disgustingly loose. I would cringe every time I saw it twisting and flopping around. Also, Lili was constantly complaining about it and refusing to let me yank it. Finally, I had had enough, and told her that we were going to do the old dental-floss noose pull. She agreed, but demanded that she do the yanking herself. So there was Lili, sitting on the tile floor with floss trailing out of her mouth, trying to work up the courage to give it a tug. Suddenly, Audrey came sprinting out of nowhere, paused in front of her sister and gave the floss a vigorous tug, then sprinted out of the room again. Lili sat stunned, staring at her tooth as it lay on the floor. I was stunned. It was one of those moments as a parent when I was completely shocked and horrified by my child's behavior. What could have possessed her? I guess she was just as tired of that darn tooth as I was.
Saturday, May 7, 2011
An Eye for an Eye, and a Tooth for a Tooth
Based on the title, you might be thinking this post is about Bin Laden, and whether or not as Christians we should rejoice in his demise, but it is not. (Although we have been praying extra hard for our brave troops...especially those amazing Navy Seals) No, the title has a much more literal relevance to the story I am about to tell.
Several months ago, Lili had a loose tooth. It had been loose for a very long time, and it was very loose; horribly, disgustingly loose. I would cringe every time I saw it twisting and flopping around. Also, Lili was constantly complaining about it and refusing to let me yank it. Finally, I had had enough, and told her that we were going to do the old dental-floss noose pull. She agreed, but demanded that she do the yanking herself. So there was Lili, sitting on the tile floor with floss trailing out of her mouth, trying to work up the courage to give it a tug. Suddenly, Audrey came sprinting out of nowhere, paused in front of her sister and gave the floss a vigorous tug, then sprinted out of the room again. Lili sat stunned, staring at her tooth as it lay on the floor. I was stunned. It was one of those moments as a parent when I was completely shocked and horrified by my child's behavior. What could have possessed her? I guess she was just as tired of that darn tooth as I was.
Anyway, last night Lili returned the favor. She yanked a toy out of Audrey's mouth and pulled out Audrey's first tooth, which was not all that loose to begin with. All's well that ends well, and after some blood and tears, sisterly affection has been restored.
Several months ago, Lili had a loose tooth. It had been loose for a very long time, and it was very loose; horribly, disgustingly loose. I would cringe every time I saw it twisting and flopping around. Also, Lili was constantly complaining about it and refusing to let me yank it. Finally, I had had enough, and told her that we were going to do the old dental-floss noose pull. She agreed, but demanded that she do the yanking herself. So there was Lili, sitting on the tile floor with floss trailing out of her mouth, trying to work up the courage to give it a tug. Suddenly, Audrey came sprinting out of nowhere, paused in front of her sister and gave the floss a vigorous tug, then sprinted out of the room again. Lili sat stunned, staring at her tooth as it lay on the floor. I was stunned. It was one of those moments as a parent when I was completely shocked and horrified by my child's behavior. What could have possessed her? I guess she was just as tired of that darn tooth as I was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You tell the best stories- the visual of Audrey yanking that tooth on the way by just KILLS me. And you make the most beautiful cupcakes! Jealous.
Post a Comment