
We are so spoiled in the winter here in Phoenix. The kids are battling a virus this week, so Kateri has taken to napping in her beloved baby swing that she is quickly outgrowing. Yesterday I gave her a big push and then went inside to tend to one of the other kids. I heard her calling me in a frustrated voice and when I went outside and asked her what was wrong she struggled to articulate the problem.
"It not working..." she complained.
"What's not working?" I was confused.
"The wind...the sun...it not working..."
I realized that a small and fluffy cloud had obscured the sun, robbing my spoiled little Phoenician of the warm sunlight for a minute or two. Just then, the cloud passed, the sun came out again, and as Kateri looked down at the shadows that sprang out in sharp contrast on the bright grass she sighed in relief and said,
"Oh...it working now, " before leaning her head back and closing her eyes.
Oh, to be two again, and wholeheartedly believe that you are the center of the universe, and that there is no problem that can't be solved by calling for your mom...

There will be no napping in the yard today, however. Kateri will have to learn (along with the huge part of the country that is currently snowbound) that you can't control the weather. This is what our swing set looked like after our sprinklers went on. It could be worse...

...our backyard could look like Nanny and Papa's. Brrrrrr.
1 comment:
I love this blog. BTW, that picture was taken 2 storms ago. You can barely see the bathtub now.
Post a Comment