Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lili and Jack


I've been meaning for some time to write a post about Lili's relationship with her best friend Jack. They've always been good buds, from the time they were two fat babies waddling around in diapers, to the two toddlers in the photo strip to the left singing "Casey Junior" over and over again at Disneyland, but as their friendship has grown and developed over the years, it has given me so much joy and not a few laughs...
Last night I opened Lili's lunch bag to find a note she had written to herself taped to the inside. It said "REMEMBER- JACK" in large letters at the top and was followed by a paragraph of what I took to be abbreviated gibberish. When I asked her about it this was the explanation she gave: "Well, whenever I'm in chapel I always am remembering these things I want to tell Jack about, and then at break or lunch I forget, so I am writing myself a note to remember to tell him." The seeming gibberish was a series of anecdotes she wanted to share with him, including her reenactment of Bill Cosby's "Dad is great, give us the chocolate cake" routine that she had recently watched with Luke and I, and a couple of other random stories she was sure Jack would find hilarious.
Aside from her lack of concentration in chapel, the whole incident just made me smile, and then I had to go to my purse to retrieve the note that Jack had given Lili last week:


Here's the front and back
I love how unabashedly outspoken the two of them are with their declarations of platonic love. When they say goodbye, it is often with a brief hug and a matter of fact: "Bye Lili, I love you." "I love you, too." I also wish I had a photo of the image of the two of them at one of the first soccer practices of the season. Everyone was split into pairs for drills, but I think they were the only ones who were unselfconsciously holding hands while awaiting their coach's instructions.
Like everything else with young children, I know this probably won't last...inevitably one of them is going to be teased by some older or more worldly child, but maybe not. I'm hoping that they hold on to their sibling-like affection for one another as long as they can, and that their friendship just grows right along with them. After all, they've moved on from Casey Junior to soccer and Bill Cosby, and they are still just as tight.

3 comments:

stongies said...

that is the sweetest thing! beautiful!

jack, lucy, finn, dot, martha, and rocky said...

since when did the chrysler building have a saturn-like disc around the top....completely wrong. come on jack, get it right...embarassing.

-pete

jack, lucy, finn, dot, martha, and rocky said...

talk about tugging at my heart strings, allie. that photo strip makes me tear up and laugh out loud at the same time...