Thursday, August 18, 2011

Our Scituate Summer: Audrey

On to my water baby:
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Audrey is still completely enamoured with the ocean. She is still the first one in the water and the last one out. Her m.o. was to inch farther and farther out until she was "accidentally" well over her head and I called her back in.
The only time she would voluntarily take a break was seconds before hypothermia set in and she was forced to lay like a lizard on the rocks and recharge.
This summer her boogie boarding skills really took off, and her fearlessness was a mixed blessing...watch out Kateri! Her enthusiasm and confidence rubbed off on her older sister, though, and they both became much more proficient. We had some great waves at the end of our stay from a storm offshore and she was pummelled and smashed to her heart's content.
I'm thinking of sending her to Fiji to live with Uncle Cole, who I am sure could introduce her to some real waves.
Oh my Audrey, God has certainly blessed her with an abundance of, how should I put it? Spunk? Verve? Moxie?
And boy did we see it this summer. It is growing more and more apparent to me that my challenge as her mother is going to lie in harnessing it for the power of good.
Pray for me.
Please.
As you can see from the above picture, she needs no coaching to strike a sassy pose, yet somehow manages to ruin many of our group shots with crazy faces:
Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Anyway, when we wrung the saltwater out of her, she enjoyed many of our favorite summertime traditions...Pony rides at the Farmers' Market...
...the carousel...
...and breakfast at the lighthouse.

There is never a dull moment when Audrey is around. I think Nanny put it best when I turned to her in exasperation after a display of particularly baffling intense emotion:
"She's just got a fire in her belly..."
So, like I said, pray for me. And if you can spare a prayer for her First Grade teacher while you're at it, that would be great.

No comments: